Wednesday, March 10, 2010

'The citadel of established practice will not fall to the polite knock
of a good idea...'
Barry MacDonald - educational evaluator.

Sent by Aaron Peeters in Ghana. As was the following email on 31 January 2010.

I've been thinking a bit lately about language learning. Since
Indonesian, I have added Japanese to my belt, and started on Tigrinya
and Dagaare (Eritrea and Northern Ghana) respectively. Somehow, I seem
to pick up these obscure languages relatively quickly, especially
compared to people around me. I think it has got something to do with
my previous knowledge (constructing sentences, identifying useful
vocabulary, etc.) but also possibly something to do with attitude (not
afraid to make mistakes for example, i've made plenty of those!) I've
even started to pick up some French from a CD course i've picked up
(Learn French with Michel Thomas, he's really good!). I figured that
you would know how to best utilise this knowledge to encourage others
to have a go at a new language also...

Also, I read about the links between multilingualism and creativity
some scientists have found in the Guardian newspaper and thought you
might be interested, it's what prompted this email:
http://bit.ly/multiling (written by Europublic researchers for the European Commission, The Contribution of Multilingualism to Creativity, Part One 16 July 2009. Link)

No comments: